kate spade new york: things we love: twenty years of inspiration, intriguing bits and other curiosities
About the book
within the four walls of kate spade new york, personal style is applauded and cultural curiosity is encouraged. long before the days of pinboards and social sharing, the brand's in-house creative team began amassing a collection of things we love on their website: a crayon ring, a cocktail doodle, a particularly dreamy photograph. people began visiting and chiming in with suggestions. now, the things we love have come to life in celebration of the brand's 20th anniversary. each of the book's 20 chapters is filled with things we love-from the color red to a well-placed bow to a sense of humor and handwritten notes. part visual diary, part inspirational reference and sprinkled throughout with playful tips and practical advice, things we love is a beautiful compilation that visually represents the spirit of kate spade new york-a place where the colors are bold, smart design is key and fashion is fun. Praise for kate spade new york: things we love: "the brand has a vibrant new tome to celebrate."-- Harper's Bazaar.com
Kate Spade New York Biography
Kate Spade New York is an American fashion house founded in January 1993 by Kate and Andy Spade. Kate Spade New York competes with Michael Kors. In 2017, the company was purchased by Tapestry, Inc., formerly known as Coach, Inc.
Prior to company creationKatherine Noel Brosnahan (later known as Kate Spade) was born on December 24, 1962, in Kansas City, Missouri. She grew up in Kansas City and went to an all-girls Catholic high school. Eventually she moved to Arizona, where she attended Arizona State University and graduated in 1985. It is there that she met her future husband, Andy Spade. Katherine majored in journalism, while Andy majored in architecture. In 1986, after completing their education, the couple moved to New York City. It was in New York that Katherine worked as a style editor for Mademoiselle, but left in 1991 (with the title of senior editor/head of accessories) to start her own handbag line. To get inspiration, Kate browsed local flea markets and secondhand stores. She also researched the styles, fabrics, and potential production costs of making her own handbags. The team slowly worked their way up the social ladder until they were able to create a company that would be noticed by the public.
Early stagesKate Spade New York was founded in 1993 by Katherine Noel Brosnahan and her husband/business partner Andy Spade. Kate Spade New York started after a suggestion from Andy when Katherine wasn't sure about her next career move after logging six years at Mademoiselle. Originally, the business started out with the Sam handbag and was only making colorful lively bags for consumers. Eventually, Andy withdrew $35,000 from his 401K account to fund the production of Kate's handbags. Her debut line infused classic shapes, colors and fabrics into a now iconic square bag with a little black label sewn to the outside of the bag that said “Kate Spade New York.” Their main target market at this time was the upper middle class. In 1996, Spade's company opened its first shop in New York City's SoHo neighborhood. Kate Spade rose in eight months after a journalist at Cleveland Research Co. recommended buying the shares because of the brand’s growth potential.The company started from nothing, and after 1998 it started to expand, with sales totaling $27 million. By 2006, revenue was reportedly near $99 million. In 1999, Neiman Marcus Group paid $34 million for a 56% stake of the company. In 2006, Neiman Marcus Group acquired the remaining 44% stake in Kate Spade for $59.4 M, valuing the company at $134 M.
Later stagesIn 2004, Kate Spade operated only 13 stores in the United States, and did not ship out of the country (Cohen 198). The company initially sold handbags, but eventually extended to include stationery, personal organizers, address books, shoes, beauty products, perfume, raincoats, pajamas, and eyewear clothing. It now has a full women's clothing line. The business’ clothing and h ... Read full biography
|Authors:||Kate Spade New York Deborah Lloyd|
|Languages:||| English ||
|Illustrations:||200 colour and black-and-white illustrations|
|Publication date:||Jan. 18, 2013|
|First Publication Date:||None|
|Publication City/Country:||New York, United States|