Naive Art

No Image
Author: Parkstone
Rating: None
Bestsellers Rate: None
Publisher: Parkstone Press Ltd
Book Format: Postcard book or pack
Binding: None
Pages: 30
Hours of reading: 0.5 hours
Publication Date: 2021
Languages: | English |
Price: None

About the book

None

Reviews

None

Quotes

None

Parkstone Biography

Parkstone is an area of Poole, Dorset. It is divided into 'Lower' and 'Upper' Parkstone. Upper Parkstone - "Up-on-'ill" as it used to be known in local parlance - is so-called because it is largely on higher ground slightly to the north of the lower-lying area of Lower Parkstone - "The Village" - which includes areas adjacent to Poole Harbour. Because of the proximity to the shoreline, and the more residential nature of Lower Parkstone, it is the more sought-after district, and originally included Lilliput and the Sandbanks Peninsula (now part of Canford Cliffs) within its official bounds. Lower Parkstone is centred on Ashley Cross, the original location of Parkstone Grammar School, near to the Parish Church of St. Peter. Despite the residential reputation, Parkstone was the site of several industrial undertakings, the largest being George Jennings South Western Pottery, a manufacturer of salt-glaze drainage and sanitary pipes, which had its own steam locomotive, that ran on a private branch line from Parkstone Station. Much of this area was agricultural until the 1920s and 1930s. Upper Parkstone includes large areas of smaller artisan housing, the shopping district along Ashley Road and the parish church of St. John's, Heatherlands. There are larger properties, however, and the views from this higher part of the suburb across Poole Harbour to the Purbeck Hills are quite remarkable. Many photographs taken over the years from the Seaview viewpoint (overlooking much of Poole centre and Harbour) exist as postcards, and can be used to chart the changes to the area.Parkstone is just south of Alder Hills. Parkstone Bay is in the far west.

History

The "Upper Parkstone Estate" was a significant area of land vested in the local authority by the Great Canford Award of 1831, but it was slow to develop into the bustling neighbourhood of today. In January 1885 we find the earliest indication that a plot of land amounting to 6 acres 2 rods and 35 poles (approximately 25,000 square metres or 2.5 hectares) was to be set aside as a public open space in plans presented to the Council as a result of an invitation to a number of local architects for proposals laying out the Estate. But what is now known as "Alexandra Park" is essentially Edwardian in concept, having evolved over a period of some 30 years (1885 - 1915). The name dates from June 1906, the presumption being that it is named after Queen Alexandra, consort of the reigning Edward VII. Much of Upper Parkstone was developed during the Victorian era and is typical for a development of that period, most of the main shops being situated along a main road (Ashley Road) together with a few pubs and churches, and most houses being in adjacent roads. A lot of roads are named after important people or events of their time such as Albert Road, Victoria Road and Jubilee Road etc. The area expanded into other areas such as Rossmore and later Alderney, which are sometimes considered to be part of Parksto ... Read full biography

Authors: Parkstone
Editors:
Translators:
Illustrators:
Publisher: Parkstone Press Ltd
Imprint:
Languages: | English |
Original Language:
ISBN13: 9781859954409
ISBN10: 1859954405
Series:
Reference Edition:
Edition: None
Edition Statement: None
Illustrations: 30col.ill.
Literature Country: None
Literature Period: None
Book Format: Postcard book or pack
Book Binding: None
Paper: None
Font: None
Pages: 30
Book Weight: None
Book Dimensions: 130x160
Circulation: None
Publication date: Dec. 1, 1998
First Publication Date: None
Publication City/Country: London, United Kingdom

Bestsellers in Naive Art

View all ...